Ministry & Missions Academy: California
June 20 - August 2
Registration is closed.
Interns participating in the Ministry and Missions Academy in California will join a team of fellow interns, passionate about people affected by disability, in training on a biblical view of disability and a theology of suffering through our Beyond Suffering (BYS) curriculum. During your six-week internship you will serve together in practical ministry outreaches through the local church domestically and internationally. All interns are expected to be ready to use their gifts and skillsets to serve their team and those with whom they interact during their internship. Whether you’re a special education, therapy, or ministry major or are a person with great organizational skills, come ready to unite as a team to bring hope only God can provide for the marginalized of society.
As an Academy intern you will first receive classroom training and practical application in serving people affected by disability. As you process your training and experiences with your team, you will find rich community in learning and serving beside like-minded believers. Cause 4 Life will provide you with opportunity to serve people with disabilities in different hands-on capacities. Partnering through the local churches, you will be exposed to adult outreaches, child respite programs and family events.
Joni and Friends Family Retreat milestones the third week of your internship, where you will serve a family affected by disability for an entire week. Family Retreat exposes the realities and needs of families affected by disability. As an Academy intern you will have the opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus as you serve your camper.
The Dominican Republic mission trip capstones the internship, exposing you to suffering and disability in a developing country. The team will provide disability ministry training to local church leaders within the church network of Santo Domingo and model disability ministry through respite and home visits.
“It was a wonderful program and opportunity not just to learn about the world of disabilities, but to live it in a Christ-centered atmosphere.” —Saurym Quezada, C4L Intern
- Beyond Suffering: Learn about suffering and disability from a biblical and cultural point of view
- An introduction to how biblical, compassionate love leads to hope in Christ for those who suffer
- Participation in Buddy Break (respite ministry) and Friendship Club (adult ministry)
- Joni and Friends Family Retreat
- Dominican Republic Mission Trip – In partnership with Empowering Action (July 21st – 31st)
- Be mentored and challenged to implement disability ministry as part of your life calling
- Be discipled in what it means to be a servant leader
- Be challenged to turn your passion into acts of love (resource: Love Does)
- Live and find community with like-minded teammates from all over the country
- Team bonding outings and events will be organized during free time
- Host homes and transportation will be provided throughout the length of the internship
*A limited number of scholarships are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for individuals who are in need of financial assistance. College credit may also be available depending on the requirements of your university.
Cause4Life@joniandfriends.org | 818-707-5664