Ministry & Missions Academy: Arizona
June 6 - July 20
Registration is closed.
Interns participating in the Ministry and Missions Academy in Arizona will join a team of fellow interns, passionate about people affected by disability, in training on a biblical view of disability and a theology of suffering through our Beyond Suffering (BYS) curriculum. During your six-week internship you will serve together in practical ministry outreaches through the local church domestically and internationally. All interns are expected to be ready to use their gifts and skillsets to serve their team and those with whom they interact during their internship. Whether you’re a special education, therapy, or ministry major or are a person with great organizational skills, come ready to unite as a team to bring hope only God can provide for the marginalized of society.
As an Academy intern you will first receive classroom training and practical application in serving people affected by disability. The AZ Academy boasts a great ministry partner in Highlands Church. The director of the special needs ministry at Highlands will provide BYS training and opportunities to serve alongside their special needs ministry. While serving at Highlands you will be exposed to adult outreaches, child respite programs and family events. Joni and Friends Arizona is housed in the Ability 360 center with several other disability related organizations. You’ll find great resources in the services they provide persons with disabilities. As you process your training and experiences with your team, you will find rich community in learning and serving beside like-minded believers.
At Joni and Friends Family Retreat you will serve a family affected by disability for a whole week. Family Retreat exposes the realities and needs of families affected by disability. As an Academy intern you will have the opportunity to be the hands and feet of Jesus as you serve your camper.
The Dominican Republic mission trip capstones the internship, exposing you to suffering and disability in a developing country. The team will provide disability ministry to local church leaders, modeling disability ministry through respite and home visits. They will also resource the teachers at Emmanuel House school, who are responsible for teaching children with special needs.
*Internship cost is ALL INCLUSIVE upon arrival at your internship location.
“This internship turned my interest in Special Education into a passion for those who are disabled. Thank you for having such a grand impact on my life. I am forever grateful!” —Dayren Soto, C4L Intern
- Beyond Suffering: Learn about suffering and disability from a biblical and cultural point of view
- Exposure to the ministries, programs and services Joni and Friends provides as a non-profit
- An introduction to how biblical, compassionate love leads to hope in Christ for those who suffer
- Serve as a buddy in Highlands VBS and volunteer at their Friendship Club (Adult ministry)
- Develop and lead a special needs VBS through Highlands Church
- Volunteer in other disability organizations through the Ability 360 Center
- Assist with recreational therapy in the fully accessible Sports & Fitness Center
- Joni and Friends Family Retreat
- Missions trip to the Dominican Republic – In partnership with Empowering Action (June 22-July 2)
- Visit a Wheels for the World wheelchair restoration center
- Be mentored and challenged to implement disability ministry as part of your life calling
- Be discipled in what it means to be a servant leader
- Be challenged to turn your passion into acts of love (resource: Love Does)
- Live and find community with like-minded teammates from all over the country
- Team bonding outings and events that will be organized during free time
- Host homes and transportation will be provided throughout the length of the internship
*A limited number of scholarships are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for individuals who are in need of financial assistance. College credit may also be available depending on the requirements of your university.
Cause4Life@joniandfriends.org | 818-707-5664