Working towards her Master’s Degree in Special Education, Rachel Seiler has been sensing the Lord calling her into disability ministry. Living with disability herself has increased her faith in God and given her a love for others who struggle. But where to begin? Uganda! “I’ve never been on a missions trip outside of the U.S.!” said Rachel, “But Joni and Friends was the first place I applied. For two weeks in Africa, Rachel served as a Joni and Friends intern, teaching little children at the Kampala School for the Physically Handicapped. From the well-spring of God’s own handiwork in her life, Rachel touched the hearts of children as only she could. “On the outreach, I was able to share that God created those of us with disabilities to have a special purpose. That suffering can bring glory to God and joy to our hearts when our attitude becomes a testimony to His goodness. I shared Jeremiah 29:11: ‘For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” Rachel came home from Uganda more certain than ever of her testimony and God’s plans for her own future. “God created me in a specific way that He wants me to be able to verbalize,” she said. “My internship with Joni and Friends has confirmed that God is calling me to disability ministry.” Hope and a future, indeed!
Watch Rachel in a sneak peek of the new Cause 4 Life Love. Heal. Defend. video web series that will begin airing on our blog later this month!
- Wheels for the World Sending the gift of mobility and the Gospel message worldwide.
- Family Retreats Retreats for families that live with disability.
- Television Series Each episode highlights God’s goodness in a world shattered by suffering.
- Radio Program Joni Eareckson Tada shares encouragement and Biblical insights.
- Christian Institute on Disability Higher education, ministry training, and Public Policy Center.
- Cause 4 Life, Global Missions & Internships Internships that provide ministry training with hands-on experience.
- Response Provides encouragement, information, and resources to people with disabilities.
- Church Relations Equipping churches for disability ministry.
- International Outreach Heightening disability awareness and training worldwide.
- International Family Retreats Providing Christian retreats in other nations for families affected by disability.
- TeamMED Outreaches addressing medical, dental, and rehabilitation issues.
- Total Access International outreach teams that focus on accessibility construction projects.